My hubby found a set of Slipper Genie Microfiber Cleaning Slippers at the local hardware store and sent me an image. When I found these Microfiber Cleaning Sponges at the dollar store and I immediately knew what I was going to do with them. My kids love cleaning, and they would get a kick out of wearing sponges on their feet to clean the floor. I was right they loved our DIY Microfiber Cleaning Slippers.
To make your own set of cleaning slippers your will need:
- 2 Microfiber Sponges ~ you can find them at the dollar store
- 1 Terry Cloth Hand Towel
- Glue Gun
I love that all the supplies can be found at the Dollar Store, which means the cost for this little project is relatively minimal. I put these little cleaning slippers together in about 15 mins, which is also a bonus. Quick and easy, my kind of craft!
These little slippers are so easy to put together.
- Cut strip of towel lengthwise that is about 5″ or 6″ wide (the whole length of the towel).
- Fold your towel over twice so the cut edge is folded into the middle. That way the factory edge is what you see, no fraying and no need to sew anything.
- Run a bead of hot glue along the factory edge to stick your strip together. You should now have a long towel tube.
- Cut your towel tube just larger than the width of the sponge. You will need one of these for each sponge.
- Position the towel tube so that it fits your foot like a sandal. I choose to fold my edges in so that the frayed ends were not showing before I glued them.
That’s it, easy peasy! Hot glue is your friend for this project. No need to sew!
Just like the store bought slippers, no need to clean with water. These little Microfiber slippers are perfect for picking up dust, pet hair and dirt. They are soft, so need to worry about scratching your floors. I can’t say they are going to be a miracle cure for cleaning your floors, but I will say that your kids will have a blast wearing them!
These little slippers are the perfect way to get your kiddos excited about cleaning. I mean who wouldn’t want to go running and sliding through out the house all in the name of cleaning! Your kids are going to be begging to clean your floors:) Now that is something that you won’t hear from your kids everyday.
I would love to hear your tricks and tips for getting your kids involved in cleaning or daily chores. Making if fun and interesting works best at our house, and I have to say that these little slippers are just that.