Move and Learn ~ Indoor Games for Kids
We love active indoor games, especially when the weather is not cooperating to play outside. The kids loved jumping and running inside. Our simple shape hopscotch game is a fun way to work on gross motor skills along side color and shape recognition.
I love this simple Indoor Shape Toss Game from Learn Play Imagine. Instead of tape for our shapes, we used colored paper. The kids had so much fun jumping, twirling and hopping through the shape maze!
Shape Hopscotch Game:
- I cut 6 different easily recognizable paper shapes ~ Orange stars, yellow circles, red squares, green ovals, purple squares, and blue triangles.
- Tape the colored shapes to the floor with painters tape.
- The object of our simple game was move and learn while having lots of fun. Mission accomplished. The kids had no idea that they were working on important skills like color and shape recognition.
I encouraged the kids jump, wiggle, twirl and hop through the shapes. Here are a few of the kids favorite ways to make it though the shape maze:
- Hop from one side to the other only touching one color/shape.
- Have one kids call out colors or shapes that the other kid raced to find.
- Jump across the shapes following directions like…”jump 2 shapes to the right”
This simple indoor activity was a great way to get the kids moving and learning.
For more indoor games for kids, check out our: